Khatta Moong (Whole green moong in curd based gravy)
Khatta (sour) moong is a delectable recipe from gujarati cuisine. It is basically a sour curry where moong/whole green gram is cooked in curd/yogurt gravy. You can serve it with parathas or steamed rice. This recipe uses basic spices like hing, jeera powder and turmeric powder. You can add water as per the consistency you want.
If you have buttermilk in your refrigerator, you can use that as well. You just need to be careful while adding water in case you are using buttermilk. We suggest to add a little water in the beginning. Once you add buttermilk, you will be able to judge the consistency and can add more water if you find the consistency too thin. Only thing to be kept in mind while making this dish is that the curd that you will use, should be sour. Sour curd or buttermilk can be used for making Kadhi as well. You can try our Gujarati Kadhi Recipe or Vegetable Kadhi Recipe.
This recipe uses basic spices like hing, jeera powder and turmeric powder. You can add water as per the consistency you want.
If you are looking for more Indian Curry/Sabzi recipes, then do have a look at other recipes on the blog like –
Khatta Moong (Whole Green Moong in Curd based gravy)
Loved this recipe? Leave a comment below and give us a 5★ rating
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- ½ cup whole green moong/whole green gram
- ½ cup curd/dahi
- ½ cup water + 1.5 cups water to cook moong
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 1 broken dry red chilli deseeded
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds/rai
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 green chilli cut into 2 pices
- 10-12 curry leaves/kadi patta
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida/hing
- small piece of ginger chopped or grated
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera powder
- salt to taste
- Wash and soak the whole moong in enough water for 25-30 minutes. Drain all the excess water.
- Pressure cook moong with 1.5 cups water on high flame for 1 whistle, then reduce the flame and cook for another 10-12 minutes.
- In a pan, heat oil and ghee. Add dry red chilli and mustard seeds. Once the seeds crackle, add cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds splutter, reduce or switch off the flame and add hing, curry leaves, green chilli, ginger and ½ cup water.
- Once it comes to a boil, add cooked moong. Mix well.
- Now add curd, turmeric powder, salt and jeera powder. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes till everything gets mixed properly.
- Serve khatta moong hot with steamed rice, phulka rotis and any dry vegetable/sabzi.