Sev Tamatar ki Sabzi | Sev Tameta nu Shaak
Sev Tamatar ki Sabzi or Sev Tameta nu Shaak is a popular curry recipe from Gujarati cuisine prepared using onions and tomatoes and is topped with sev. In the authentic recipe, plain sev is added. But, in this recipe, we have added aloo bhujia sev to give a more tangy and spicy flavour to the recipe. You may also use ratlami sev (spicy sev) or plain sev. Do have a look at our collection of Gujarati Recipes.
This is a dhaba style version of the recipe, so we have used onion and garlic in this recipe. However, you can also prepare this recipe without onion and garlic.
If you are looking for more Indian Curry/Sabzi recipes, then do have a look at other recipes on the blog like –
Sev Tamatar ki Sabzi Recipe | Sev Tameta nu Shaak
Loved this recipe? Leave a comment below and give us a 5★ rating
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 2 big tomatoes chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/3 cup aloo bhujia sev
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 broken dry red chili deseeded
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds/rai
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 1 green chili - cut into 2 pieces/finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder/dhania powder
- ½ teaspoon jeera/cumin powder
- salt to taste
- water as required
- small bunch of coriander leaves finely chopped
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add dry red chilli and mustard seeds.
- Once seeds crackle, add cumin seeds, green chilli, hing, and onions. Sprinkle some salt and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute for a few more seconds.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, cover the lid and let it cook for 3-4 minutes or till tomatoes become soft and pulpy.
- Now add all the spice powders i.e. turmeric powder, red chilli powder, jeera powder, dhaniya powder and salt. Saute for a minute.
- Now add about 1/3 to 1/2 cup water. Stir well. Quantity of water will depend on how much gravy you want in your sabzi. Plus when you add sev in the sabzi, it will absorb the moisture. Remove from flame.
- Just before serving, heat the sabzi and add aloo bhujia sev and mix everything well. Cook for about 30 seconds, switch off the stove and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.