Eggless Christmas Fruit Cake Recipe | Christmas Plum Cake (no eggs, no alcohol)
Eggless christmas fruit cake is a delectable cake that is super-moist and packed with flavours. Now there can be many variations to this recipe – you can choose your favourite dried fruits and nuts and also juice in which we soak the fruits. We have already shared the recipe of Eggless Christmas Fruit Cake without soaking – this recipe requires no soaking and hence it gets ready quickly.
In this recipe for Eggless Christmas Fruit Cake with soaking, we have used –
- mixed dried fruits: cranberries, cherries, grapes, prunes, apricots
- tutti frutti + raisins
We have soaked the fruits in grape juice for 3-4 hours. You may choose to soak them for a longer duration as well in any of your favourite juice like orange or apple juice or can even soak them in any alcoholic drink. Choice is yours.
Some tips & variations to make the perfect Christmas Plum Cake:
- You can vary the proportion of dried fruits as per your liking.
- We have used dark brown sugar, but you may use regular sugar as well.
- We have used all spice powder. If you want you may also add more cinnamon powder or cardamom powder or nutmeg powder.
- Baking time depends on your convection. We suggest you remain alert after 40-45 minutes. Do not bake the cake at a stretch for the said time.
- Either grease the tin with oil/butter and dust it with flour. Second way is to spread butter and then line it with parchment paper/baking sheet.
- All the ingredients to be used, should be at room temperature.
More Christmas Special Recipes –
More Eggless Baking Recipes that you can try :
Eggless Christmas Fruit Cake
Loved this recipe? Leave a comment below and give us a 5★ rating
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
For soaking dried fruits
- ¾ cup chopped mixed dried fruits like cranberries cherries, grapes, prunes, apricots
- ¼ cup tutti fruity + raisins
- 4-5 pitted dates/khajur chopped
- 4-5 figs/anjeer chopped
- ¾ cup grape juice or you may use orange juice/any other flavoured juice OR red wine/rum or any other alcohol
- 1.5 cups maida/all purpose flour
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon all spice powder
- pinch of salt
- 10 cashews chopped
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
For soaking dried fruits
- In a bowl, combine all the chopped mixed dried fruits that you are using. We have used ready mix of dried fruits that has a combination of – dried cranberries, cherries, grapes, prunes, apricots. Along with it, also add raisins, tutti fruity, chopped figs and dates. You can vary the proportion of these fruits as per your liking.
- Add grape juice to it and soak them for 3-4 hours. If you are soaking for more time duration, then refrigerate the mixture.
- After 3-4 hours, drain all the excess juice.
Preparing cake batter
- In a wide bowl, mix together water, oil and dark brown sugar. Beat well till sugar dissolves completely.
- Place a sieve on the bowl. Sieve maida, baking powder, baking soda, all spice powder and salt. Beat well till no lumps remain. Do not overbeat. We just need to mix the batter.
- Now add lemon zest and chopped cashews. Mix.
- To this add the soaked & drained dried fruits. Mix gently.
- Pour the cake batter into the greased tin. Bake the cake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for about 60 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Be alert and check after 40-45 minutes. Baking time will vary for every Convection.
- Remove from the oven insert a toothpick into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, cake is ready. If it doesn’t come out clean, bake for a few more minutes.
- Let it cool completely. Remove on a plate. Slice the cake and enjoy.