Eggless Checkerboard Cookies Recipe
These eggless checkerboard cookies not only looks pretty, but are also great to learn in a fun way. A classic combination of vanilla and chocolate, presented in a different way with these melt in mouth cookies. There are many ways to make these cookies – you can also present these cookies in a pinwheel form.
To make the learning process simpler, we have provided step-wise pictures. It is very important to refrigerate the dough as and when advised in the steps to get the perfect squares of vanilla and chocolate.
Step-wise pictures for Eggless Checkerboard Cookies:
(Click on the pictures to get a clear full size image)
More Eggless Baking recipes on the blog –
Whole Wheat and Jaggery Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Vanilla Swirl Cookies
Eggless Whole Wheat Cranberry Cookies Recipes
Eggless Gingerbread Cookies
Eggless Checkerboard Cookies
Loved this recipe? Leave a comment below and give us a 5★ rating
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 1 ¾ cup maida/all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ cup butter
- pinch of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Firstly, collect all the ingredients and let them come to room temperature.
- In a wide bowl, combine butter and sugar.
- Whisk well with the help of a beater.
- Now add vanilla essence and salt to the mixture and mix well.
- To this mixture add maida and baking powder. Mix well with the help of a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Add milk and knead into a stiff dough.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts.
- Add cocoa powder in one portion and mix well till the cocoa powder gets blended well into the dough. If you find the dough too try or crumbly, you can add more milk.
- Now cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes or until firm.
- Roll out both the dough into a rectangle shape one by one.
- Cut both the vanilla and chocolate rectangle into three slabs of equal width. Now we have 3 strips each of vanilla and chocolate.
- We have to make 2 slabs from these 6 strips. Place three slabs of dough, alternating vanilla and chocolate dough one on top of the other. Gently press the slabs together.
- Cut each slab lengthwise into 2 strips of equal width.
- Rearrange the strips of dough to create 1 slab forming 12 rectangles cross-wise. Wrap the slab with plastic and refrigerate for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Remove from refrigerator and slice into ¼ inch thick piece.
- Bake the cookies at 180°C for 10 - 15 mins till you see some light brown corners.
- Cool the cookies on a cooling rack and store in an airtight container.
Leave a Reply