Kaju Karela Recipe | How to make Kaju Karela nu Shaak
Kaju Karela – as the same suggests, is a sabzi or dry vegetable prepared from Bitter Gourd (Karela) and Cashews (Kaju). This is a very popular recipe from Gujarati cuisine and is a favourite item on the menu list for marriage functions and is also amongst the many delicacies served in Gujarati Thali Restaurants. Also do have a look at our collection of Gujarati Cuisine Recipes.
Bitter taste of karela is balanced by adding spices and sesame seeds and desiccated coconut. Do not forget to soak karela slices in salt water for atleast 30 minutes, so as to reduce its bitterness.
If you are looking for more Indian Curry/Sabzi recipes, then do have a look at other recipes on the blog like –
Kaju Karela Recipe | How to make Kaju Karela nu shaak
Loved this recipe? Leave a comment below and give us a 5★ rating
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 3 small karela/bitter gourd about 170 grams
- 1 medium sized potato cut lengthwise
- 15 cashews/kaju
- 1 teaspoon oil + oil for deep frying
- 1 broken dry red chili deseeded
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds/rai
- 1 green chilli cut into 2 pieces or finely chopped
- pinch of asafoetida/hing
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder/dhania powder
- ½ teaspoon jeera/cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon amchur powder/dry mango powder
- ½ teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds/til
- 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
- salt to taste
- Scrape the skin of karela/bitter gourd and cut them lengthwise. Remove their seeds.
- Now soak them in a bowl of salt water for 30 minutes.
- Remove and wash them thoroughly. Drain all the excess water. Pat them dry on a kitchen towel.
- Soaking bitter gourd in salt water will reduce the bitterness from them.
- Heat oil for frying potato and bitter gourd.
- Fry potatoes till golden brown. Then add bitter gourd pieces and fry till golden brown and completely cooked. This may take a while.
- Now, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a non-stick pan. Add dry red chilli and mustard seeds. Once the seeds crackle, add green chilli, hing and cashews. Saute for about a minute.
- Now add fried potatoes and bitter gourd.
- Add all the spices - red chilli powder, jeera powder, dhaniya powder, amchur powder, powdered sugar and salt. Mix well and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add sesame seeds and desiccated coconut. Give a quick mix and remove from flame.
- Serve this sweet and spicy sabzi hot with phulkas or parathas and accompany with dal-rice for a complete meal.