A simple and healthy sabzi made from carrots and fenugreek/methi leaves. This interesting combination of carrots and methi leaves goes very well together. Natural sweetness of carrots gets combined with a mild bitter taste of methi leaves, to give out a perfect blend of tastes and flavours.
If you like recipes from methi/fenugreek leaves, you may also like our recipe for Methi na Thepla.
Gajar Methi ki Sabzi
Loved this recipe? Leave a comment below and give us a 5★ rating
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 500 grams carrots peeled and cut into long pieces
- 1 cup methi leaves/fenugreek leaves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds/rai
- 1 broken dry red chilli deseeded
- ¼ teaspoon jeera/cumin seeds
- 4-5 slit green chillies
- pinch of hing/asafoetida
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder/haldi
- ¼ teaspoon coriander/dhania powder
- ¼ teaspoon jeera/cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon jaggery optional
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon water
- Firstly peel, wash and chop the carrots into long pieces.
- Pick the methi leaves from stem. Combine water and pinch of salt in a bowl and soak the leaves for about 5-10 minutes. Finely chop the leaves.
- Heat oil in a pressure pan or small pressure cooker. Add dry red chilli and mustard seeds.
- When seeds crackle, add cumin seeds, asafoetida, slit green chillies and carrots. Mix well and sauté on a medium flame for about a minute.
- Now add turmeric powder, salt and 2 tablespoon water and pressure cook on high flame till 1 whistle.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Now again heat it on medium flame and add jeera powder, dhaniya/coriander powder and jaggery. Mix well.
- Now add chopped methi leaves and cook for 2 minutes on medium flame. Check the salt level and adjust salt accordingly.
- Remove from flame and serve hot with phulka rotis or steamed rice, buttermilk and vegetable kadhi for lunch or dinner.