A delicious and healthy sabzi prepared from bottle guard (lauki/doodhi) and chana dal (bengal gram). This sabzi can be prepared quickly provided you have soaked the dal earlier. It is made with ingredients that are easily available in your kitchen.
We make this sabzi without onion and garlic. This is of mild spicy taste and can be served with phulka rotis or steamed rice and buttermilk.
In this recipe, we have added small quantity of jaggery, just to balance the tanginess of tomatoes. If you want you can eliminate adding jaggery to this sabzi.
Lauki chana dal ki sabzi
Loved this recipe? Leave a comment below and give us a 5★ rating
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 2 cups bottle gourd/doodhi /lauki cut into cubes
- 1/3 cup chana dal split bengal gram, soaked for 30 minutes and drained
- 3 to matoes chopped
- 1 tablepoon oil
- 1 broken dry red chilli deseeded
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds/rai
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 7- 8 curry leaves
- an inch piece of ginger grated
- 1 green chilli cut into 2 pieces or finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder haldi
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder/dhania powder
- ½ teaspoon jeera/cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon jaggery optional
- salt to taste
- Soak chana dal for atleast half an hour. Meanwhile you can chop bottle gourd/lauki and prepare other ingredients.
- In a pressure cooker, add bottle gourd cubes, chana dal, turmeric powder and salt along with 1 cup of water, mix well and cook on high flame till 1 whistle. Then reduce the flame and cook for about 10 mins.
- Let the steam release before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a non-stick pan and add dry red chili and mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds crackle, add cumin seeds, hing, curry leaves, green chilli and tomatoes. Cook on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Now add grated ginger, coriander powder, cumin seeds powder and a little salt and cook on a medium flame till tomatoes become pulpy and soft, while stirring occasionally.
- Once your tomatoes are cooked, add the bottle gourd & chana dal mixture and jaggery. Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve hot with phulka rotis or steamed rice.