Vegetable Masala Khichdi Recipe
Khichdi is the comfort food that is prepared in almost every household. Vegetable Masala Khichdi is its variant loaded with veggies, to make it more wholesome and filling. Khichdi can be prepared in two ways : one with rice and yellow moong dal and another is by combining rice and split moong dal. We are using the former ingredients.
This is the most versatile dish and you can add your favourite vegetables to it. We have also added cashews and raisins to our khichdi. We have flavoured our khichdi with cloves and cinnamon and added veggies like – potato, carrots, cabbage, peas and tomatoes. You may also add onions and capsicum to make it more interesting.
To make it a complete meal, serve vegetable masala khichdi with kadhi, pickle, papad and curd.
Kadhi recipes on the blog that you can try out with khichdi:
Dahi ki Kadhi
Fajeto (Gujarati Mango Kadhi)
Also do check out other Rice Varieties Recipes on the blog, like –
Matar Paneer Pulao
Moong Sprouts Pulao
Vegetable Masala Khichdi
Loved this recipe? Leave a comment below and give us a 5★ rating
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 1/3 cup yellow moong dal washed and soaked for 15-20 minutes
- 1/3 cup rice washed and soaked for 15-20 minutes
- 2.5 cups water for cooking
- 1 medium sized potato washed, peeled and cut into cubes
- ½ carrot peeled and cut into cubes
- ¼ cabbage shredded
- 1/3 cup peas
- 1 medium sized tomato chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder/haldi
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon ghee/clarified butter
- 1 broken dry red chili deseeded
- ½ teaspoon jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 green chili - cut into 2 pieces/finely chopped
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- ¼ inch cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves/laung
- 6-8 cashews chopped
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- salt to taste
- small bunch of coriander leaves chopped
- Wash and soak rice and moong dal for 15-20 minutes. Drain all the excess water and wash rice and dal thoroughly in running water. Set aside.
- In a pressure cooker heat oil and ghee. Add dry red chilli and jeera. Once it splutters, reduce the flame and then add cinnamon stick, cloves, green chilli, hing and potato cubes. Cover and cook on a low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Open the lid and add all the veggies – carrots, cabbage and peas, along with chopped cashews, raisins and soaked dal and rice. Mix well.
- Add 2.5 cups water, turmeric and salt. Stir, cover with a lid and pressure cook on high flame for 1 whistle and then on a medium flame for 10-15 minutes.
- Let the pressure settle down completely.
- Now open the lid and again re-heat on a medium flame. Add chopped tomatoes and mix. Again cover and cook for 3-4 minutes, just to cook the tomatoes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with curd, papad and pickle.
Leave a Reply