Aam Panna | Raw Mango Drink | Kaachi Keri no Baaflo
Aam ka Panna or Raw Mango drink is a traditional summer cooler prepared from raw mango and jaggery. It is then flavoured with roasted cumin powder and chaat masala.
In gujarati, it is called Kaachi Keri no Baaflo – Kaachi Keri means Raw Mango and Baaflo means boiled. So, raw mangoes are boiled first to make this yummy drink. If you are a fan of smoky flavour in your drinks, then do try this Roasted Aam Panna recipe.
You can prepare Aam Panna syrup (pulp or concentrate) and then store it in a sterilized bottle in refrigerator. Then prepare the drink using 3-4 tablespoon of the aam panna syrup and chilled water. This is the best drink to have during summers. This drink not only gives you instant energy but it also protects you from sun stroke.
You can also prepare aam panna using sugar. But traditionally it is prepared using jaggery, as jaggery gives instant energy and has many health benefits too. The colour of this drink will depend on what you use as a sweetening agent – if you are using light coloured jaggery it will be an off-white or light coloured drink. Here we have used dark brown coloured jaggery (or organic one, as it is called), so we have a slightly dark coloured aam panna drink. We suggest you to use jaggery instead of sugar and prepare this drink.
Do have a look at Beverages Recipes on our blog –
Aam Panna | Raw Mango Drink | Kachi Keri no Baaflo
Loved this recipe? Leave a comment below and give us a 5★ rating
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 1 big sized or 2 medium sized raw mango peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 cup water + water as required to make aam panna drink
- salt to taste
- ½ cup grated jaggery
- ¼ teaspoon chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds powder/jeera powder
- Wash, peel and cut raw mango into cubes. You just need to roughly cut them. No need to be specific about the cubes, as we have to pressure cook the cubes.
- In a pressure cooker combine raw mango cubes, 1 cup water and pinch of salt. Mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Remove from flame and let the pressure release completely.
- Open the lid and add jaggery, chaat masala and jeera powder.
- Stir and allow this mixture to cool down a bit.
- Transfer this mixture to a mixer/blender jar and blend to a pulp.
- At this stage, you may check salt level and spices and adjust accordingly.
- Once completely cooled, store this aam panna syrup in a sterilized bottle and use as required.
Preparing Aam Panna drink
- To make aam panna drink, in a serving glass take 2-3 tablespoon of the aam panna pulp and fill the glass with chilled water. Add ice cubes. Serve.
- You may change the proportion of pulp and water as per the consistency you want.
- Enjoy chilled aam panna drink.