Sukhdi | Gol Papdi – a traditional Gujarati sweet that gets ready with just 3 ingredients
Sukhadi or Gol Papdi is a traditional Gujarati sweet that is pretty easy-to-make and gets ready with just 3 ingredients. Do have a look at our collection of Gujarati Recipes.
Process of making this delicacy is also very simple. You just need to be a little patient while roasting wheat flour with ghee. This is the only process that requires time. While roasting, you need to be careful and keep stirring occasionally, so that wheat flour does not get burnt.
Sukhdi prasad at Mahudi Temple
You get the best sukhdi at Mahudi Temple, which is located on the outskirts of Gandhinagar, Gujarat. Mahudi is a famous jain temple. Sukhdi is offered as prasad there. The Prasad or sukhdi that you offer to the lord, has to be finished in the temple premises itself. You are not allowed to take the sukhdi out of the premises.
The best part about this Gujarati delicacy is that it is very easy-to-make and can be stored for months.
If you are looking for healthy sweets, you may also like :
Sukhdi | Gol Papdi
Loved this recipe? Leave a comment below and give us a 5★ rating
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 2 cups wheat flour/gehun ka atta
- 1 cup melted ghee/clarified butter
- 1 cup grated jaggery/gud
- Grease a thali/plate/tin with ghee and keep aside.
- Heat a thick-bottomed pan and pour melted ghee in it. Keep the flame low.
- To it add wheat flour. Mix well and keep stirring. There should be no lumps.
- Now cook this mixture on a low-medium flame and keep stirring. This whole process will take about 15-20 minutes.
- You will get a nice aroma of the wheat flour and you will also notice that mixture has turned light brown in colour.
- Now switch off the flame and remove the pan from flame.
- Add the gud or jaggery and mix thoroughly till it melts completely.
- Immediately pour the mixture into the greased thali and flatten it with flat spoon or spatula.
- Let it cool down for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, cut into square pieces. We just have to make square markings so that it becomes easy to remove the pieces once it is cooled.
- Once cooled completely, remove the pieces and store in an air-tight container.