Savoury Zucchini Waffles | wheat flour sooji waffles recipe | spicy waffles for breakfast
You all must have tried sweet waffles till now. But have you tried savoury or spicy waffles. Yes..you heard it right. How about having spicy waffles for breakfast and that too prepared from wheat flour.
These are savoury zucchini waffles that are prepared from wheat flour, sooji and besan. We have added grated zucchini. It has basic spice powders added and is then tempered with mustard seeds and cumin seeds. You can say that it is a modified or a twisted version of chillas. But this will surely be a treat for your family members once you serve them these waffles for breakfast. You can even pack these for kids lunch box.
If you are looking for more Breakfast Recipes, do try these –
Savoury Zucchini Waffles
Loved this recipe? Leave a comment below and give us a 5★ rating
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 1 zucchini grated OR about 1.5 cups grated zucchini
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour/gehun ka atta
- ¼ cup semolina/sooji/rava
- ¼ cup besan/gram flour
- salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder/dhania powder
- ½ teaspoon jeera/cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup curd/dahi
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- small bunch of coriander leaves chopped
For the tempering
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds/rai
- ½ teaspoon jeera/cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida/hing
- In a wide bowl, combine whole wheat flour, semolina/sooji, besan, salt to taste, turmeric powder, jeera powder, dhaniya powder, sugar, grated zucchini and mix well.
- Now add curd and gradually add water. We added about ¼ cup water. Cover and keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
- For the tempering, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small non-stick pan/kadhai and add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, jeera and asafoetida. Add this tempering to our batter and mix.
- Then add chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice to batter and mix. Batter is ready. At this stage, if you feel batter is too thick add a little water.
- Pre-heat waffle maker as per the instructions.
- Drizzle few drops of oil on it and spread about a spoonful of batter. Again drizzle oil on top, close the lid and cook the waffles.
- Once done, serve hot with green chutney or tomato ketchup.