Flax Seeds Chutney Powder
Flax seeds are the richest source of omega 3 fatty acids. There are loads of health benefits and looking at these benefits it becomes important to include flax seeds in our daily diet. We can always add flax seeds powder to our milkshakes/smoothies or while baking cakes/cookies.
This quick and easy flax seeds chutney powder is a great way to consume flax seeds in a spicy way – chutney powder/podi prepared using flax seeds, combined with dry red chillies, curry leaves and other ingredients to make it tasty.
Vegetarian Tastebuds collaborated with Ekgaon to bring you this recipe, which we prepared using Ekgaon Flax Seeds. This is our second recipe using Ekgaon’s product. Our first recipe was Lapsi (Gujarati Broken Wheat and Jaggery Sweet), which we prepared using Ekgaon Wheat Daliya. Ekgaon is committed to partnering directly with farmers to deliver high quality produce to customers.
Ekgaon is a leading social enterprise that works for the benefit of both – farmers & customers. Under Ekgaon’s ‘One Village One World Network,’ farmers have access to farm advisory and other services through their mobile phone – all of which helps in increased and better productivity. For customers, the organisation has established ekgaon.com, a ‘direct from farm’ platform that connects the farmers to customers who are looking for healthy, natural and organic food.
Ekgaon Team works on day-to-day basis with small farmers, mostly women from tribal communities and food artisans to conserve, revive and sustain our bio-diversity and food heritage. They create value-added products using locally sourced food ingredients. Through their enterprise, they aim to build local community capacity to manage the value chain and create premium quality artisan food products.
EKGAON has created the ‘One Village One World Network’ across 10,000 villages over 13 years. The network works across agricultural value chains from production, processing to distribution in order to bring unique products from community-based enterprises. These products include organic produce, desi-pulses, rare-herbs, spices and staples to markets.
If you are looking for more similar recipes, you can view our Accompaniments/Sides Recipes
Flax Seeds Chutney Powder – in collaboration with Ekgaon
Loved this recipe? Leave a comment below and give us a 5★ rating
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- ¼ cup flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon urad dal
- 1 tablespoon chana dal
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds/til
- 1 teaspoon jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 8-10 curry leaves/kadi patta
- 1-3 dry red chilies broken and deseeded
- pinch of asafoetida/hing
- ½ teaspoon amchur/dry mango powder
- salt to taste
- Heat a non-stick pan and dry roast flaxseeds on a medium flame for 3-5 minutes. Remove and keep aside to cool.
- In the same pan, roast the sesame seeds on a medium flame for 1 minute. Remove on a plate. In the same manner, roast jeera for about 1-2 minutes and remove.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil and add chana dal and urad dal. Roast them on a medium flame for about 5-6 minutes or till they turn light brown and aromatic.
- Now in the same pan, heat the remaining ½ teaspoon oil and add broken dry red chillies and curry leaves. Roast them on low to medium flame til they turn crisp. Once you notice that they are ready, add hing and saute for about 10 seconds. Remove everything on a plate.
- Now let everything cool down completely.
- In a mixer jar, first add chana dal and urad dal and grind coarsely. Now add all the other roasted ingredients along with amchur powder and salt and grind (coarsely/fine powder).
- Remove into a dish and cool. Store in an airtight container.
- You can sprinkle dry chutney powder on your favourite snacks or can even mix it with oil or curd and can use it as a dip.