Vegetable Upma Recipe – Upma is a south indian breakfast dish made from rava/suji/semolina/cream of wheat. Upma is usually served with coconut chutney or lime pickle. It can also be accompanied with filter coffee or simple coffee.
If you are in a hurry, you can make plain upma or onion upma. We have added veggies to make this dish filling and more healthy.
You may also like to read our tip on how to preserve sooji/rava/semolina for a longer period of time
More Breakfast/Snacks Recipes on the blog –
Homemade Granola Bars
Gujarati Patra Recipe
Moong Dal Paratha
Indian Style Masala Pasta
Onion Rava Paniyaram
Upma is a south indian breakfast dish made from rava/suji/semolina/cream of wheat. Upma is usually served with coconut chutney or lime pickle. It can also be accompanied with filter coffee or simple coffee.
Loved this recipe? Leave a comment below and give us a 5★ rating
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- ½ cup semolina/sooji/rava dry roasted
- 1 medium sized onion chopped finely
- ½ cup mixed veggies corn, peas, capsicum, carrot
- 1.5 tablespoon oil
- 1 broken dry red chili deseeded
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds/rai
- 1 green chilly cut into 2 pieces/finely chopped
- pinch of hing/asafoetida
- ½ teaspoon urad dal/split and skinned black gram
- 1 sprig of curry leaves/kadi patta
- 1.5 - 2 cups hot water
- 5 to 7 cashewnuts/kaju
- salt as required
- small bunch of coriander leaves chopped
- ½ teaspoon sugar optional
- few drops lime juice optional
- Lets begin by preparing the veggies. Chop the veggies. Steam cook all the vegetables (carrots, peas and corn). You can use a steamer or a pressure cooker to steam your vegetables. Alternatively, you can also boil your veggies in a covered bowl in a microwave for 6 minutes.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan. Add dry red chili and mustard seeds.
- Once mustard seeds crackle, add urad dal, green chilly, curry leaves, hing and saute for a few seconds.
- Then add onions and saute for 2-3 mins.
- Then add cashews and capsicum and saute for a minute.
- Now add dry roasted suji and saute for about 2-3 mins. (You can also add suji without dry roasting. But in that case, you will have to saute it for a bit longer i.e. 6-8 mins.)
- Then add hot water in it while stirring continuously. (You can always vary the amount of water in this recipe, depending on how you like upma i.e. a bit stiff or completely soft and smooth consistency).
- Add salt as required and steam cooked veggies. Give it a stir.
- Our dish is ready to serve. If you want you can add about ½ teaspoon sugar and few drops of lime juice at this stage.
- Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves or cashews and serve it with sour pickle, buttermilk or coffee…
•Simple upma or onion upma also tastes good. You can eliminate adding veggies for just a simple upma or just add onions and prepare onion upma. •You can also substitute buttermilk instead of lime juice. Add half portion of hot water and half portion buttermilk in the recipe, instead of just plain hot water.
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel to get the latest Recipe Video updatesCLICK TO SUBSCRIBE
If you have tried our recipes, do share your recipe pictures with us on InstagramMention or Tag @vegetariantastebuds #vegetariantastebuds
Leave a Reply