Restaurant Style Dal Makhni Recipe| dal makhani recipe – whole black lentils or whole urad dal cooked in a buttery garlic-onion-tomato gravy, tempered with basic spices
One of the most popular recipes of North India cuisine is Dal Makhani. It tastes best when you cook it on a low flame for hours. The more you simmer this dal on low flame, the tastier it turns out. “Makhni” means creamy. Lots of butter and cream makes this dal yummy and rich in texture. But here we have used fresh whisked curd instead of cream, to make it healthy.
This dal tastes great with plain rice/jeera rice or you can also serve this with butter roti/naan.
Tips to make perfect Restaurant Style Dal Makhani :
- You can increase the quantity of butter to make the dal more buttery and tasty.
- We recommend to pressure cook whole urad dal and rajma separately, as both will have different cooking times and sometimes it might happen that one of them is not cooked properly.
- Simmer the dal for atleast 1 hour. You can simmer for more time also. The more you cook this dal, more flavours you will get. Keep stirring the dal occasionally so that dal doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. If required, keep on adding water to adjust consistency.
- We have added whisked fresh curd. But if you want you can add cream too.
If you are looking for more dal/kadhi recipes, do have a look at our other recipes –
Fajeto (Gujarati Mango Kadhi)
Restaurant Style Dal Makhni Recipe
Loved this recipe? Leave a comment below and give us a 5★ rating
- Pressure Cooker
- Non-Stick Pan
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- ¼ cup whole black urad dal
- 1 tablespoon rajma/kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- small piece cinnamon stick/ dalchini
- 1 clove /laung / lavang
- 1 cardamom/elaichi
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds / jeera
- ¼ teaspoon hing/asafoetida
- 1 green chilli finely chopped or cut into 2 pieces
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 medium sized onion
- an inch piece of ginger
- 2 medium sized tomatoes pureed
- 2 teaspoon dhaniya+jeera powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon kitchen king masala
- salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon kasuri methi
- 1 tablespoon fresh curd whisked or fresh cream (we have used fresh whisked curd)
- small bunch of coriander leaves chopped
- water as required
- Rinse and soak whole urad dal and rajma overnight. Soak both separately.
- Next day, drain and wash thoroughly.
- Pressure cook whole urad dal and rajma in enough water. We recommend to cook both separately, as both will have different cooking times and sometimes it might happen that one of them is not cooked properly. Pressure cook on high flame till 1 whistle, then reduce the flame and cook for about 15-20 minutes or till done.
- Keep the cooked dal and rajma aside.
- Take garlic, ginger and onions in a mixer jar and blend to a paste. Also puree the tomatoes.
Preparing Dal Makhni
- Heat oil and butter in a non-stick pan on a medium flame. Add cinnamon stick, clove, cardamom, cumin seeds, hing and green chilli.
- Give a quick stir and then add ginger+garlic+onion paste and sauté till it becomes golden in color.
- Now add pureed tomatoes and sauté till fat separates from the gravy.
- Now add all the spice powders – dhaniya+jeera powder, garam masala, kitchen king masala and salt to taste. Mix and saute for about 3-4 minutes.
- Now add cooked dal and rajma alongwith the water in which it was cooked. Mix well and let it simmer in low-medium flame for atleast 1 hour. You can simmer for more time also. The more you cook this dal, more flavours you will get. Keep stirring occasionally so that dal doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. If required, keep on adding water to adjust consistency.
- After simmering dal for an hour or so, add kasuri methi and finely chopped coriander leaves. Mix.
- Switch off the flame and add whisked fresh curd. If you want you can add cream too.
- Serve hot with Naan, paratha or chapati.
Leave a Reply