Dal Palak | Spinach Moong Dal Recipe – an easy-to-make and nutritious one-pot recipe – yellow moong dal cooked with onion-tomato-spinach, tempered with jeera and flavoured with basic spice powders.
This dal palak recipe gets ready quickly and you can serve this with parathas/ phulka rotis or steamed rice/jeera rice.
We have cooked dal in oil but for a more rich taste you can use ghee as well. This is a quick recipe and the only time goes in soaking and cooking dal. Once this part is done, rest of the process is pretty quick. To save time, while the dal is cooking, you can prepare the tempering and keep the onion-tomato-spinach mixture ready. Once the dal is cooked, you simply need to add the cooked dal to onion-tomato mixture and adjust consistency.
If you are looking for more Spinach Recipes, then do have a look at these recipes –
Mixed Vegetables in Spinach Gravy
Sepu Vadi (Split Urad Dal Dumplings in Spinach Gravy)
Spinach & Tomato Salad
Spinach (Palak) Soup
How to Blanch Spinach
More Dal/Kadhi Recipes –
Fajeto (Gujarati Mango Kadhi)
Dal Palak | Spinach Moong Dal Recipe
Loved this recipe? Leave a comment below and give us a 5★ rating
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- ½ cup yellow moong dal
- 1 cup spinach leaves palak (or about 100 grams leaves), chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 big tomato chopped
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 broken dry red chilli deseeded
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 green chilli cut into 2 pieces
- a pinch asafoetida/hing
- 1 small piece ginger grated/finely chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder/haldi
- ¼ teaspoon dhania powder/coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon jeera powder/cumin seeds powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- salt to taste
- Soak moong dal in water for about 10-15 minutes. Pressure cook the soaked dal in 1 cup water on high flame till 1 whistle and then reduce the flame and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add dry red chilli and jeera.
- Once it splutters, add green chilli, hing and chopped onions. Saute for about 2-3 minutes.
- Now add ginger and garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till tomatoes turns soft and pulpy.
- Then add chopped spinach leaves and cook till spinach leaves shrink.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, dhaniya-jeera powder, and garam masala and mix well. Saute for a minute.
- Add cooked dal and mix well. Add 1 – 1.5 cups water and stir. Add water depending on the consistency you want. Boil the dal for about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve dal palak with rice and phulka rotis/parathas.
Leave a Reply