Namkeen Chirote Recipe | Crispy Verki Puri | parat puri – namkeen chiroti puri is a savoury puri that is flaky and crispy.
These puris can be a great treat for your friends and family for any festive occasions; especially for Diwali get-togethers. These puris might look a bit tricky, but they are pretty simple once you start making them. If you follow the exact steps, them these can be a cakewalk.
If you are looking for a sweet version of this recipe, then we have also shared the recipe for Sweet Chirote (crispy layered sweet puri)
If you are looking for more tea-time snacks recipes, do try these –
Namkeen Chirote Recipe | Crispy Verki Puri | parat puri
great treat for your friends and family for any festive occasions
Loved this recipe? Leave a comment below and give us a 5★ rating
- Frying Pan
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
For the dough
- 1 cup maida/all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ghee, melted
- water for kneading dough (about ¼ cup)
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- few drops of oil, for kneading dough
For the Paste
- 1 teaspoon rice flour/chawal ka atta
- 1 teaspoon white corn flour
- 1.5 teaspoon ghee
- ¼ teaspoon black salt/kala namak/sanchal
- ¼ teaspoon hing/asafoetida
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder, coarsely crushed
- ½ teaspoon roasted jeera/cumin seeds powder
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala
- oil, for frying
For the dough
- In a wide bowl, mix maida, ghee, salt and knead into a stiff dough adding water gradually. We used about 1/4 cup water.
- Dough should not be soft and smooth. It should be same as that of a puri. Add little oil and knead the dough again. Cover and set aside for 15-20 minutes.
For the Paste
- In a bowl, mix ghee, rice flour and corn flour. Whisk well.
- Mix all the dry spice powders - black salt, hing, black pepper powder, jeera powder and chaat masala.
- Add this spice mix to the ghee+rice flour+corn flour mix. Mix well and keep aside.
- After resting time, knead the dough with few drops of oil and divide in 3 equal parts and make balls out of it.
- Roll out each ball into a big round (big sized roti). Prepare 3 rotis.
- Now take 1 roti and apply ghee-flour mixture and spread evenly on it. Place 2nd roti on it and apply ghee-flour mixture over it. Now, place the third roti and apply the ghee-flour mixture.
- Then roll them up. With the help of a knife, cut small pieces of the roll. These will now look like mini swiss rolls.
- Take a piece that we had cut from that roll on a rolling pin. Press it lightly with your palm and roll into a small disc shape (puri shape). Roll it gently.
- In the same manner, prepare all the other puris.
- Heat oil for frying puris. Fry the prepared puris till light golden and crisp.
- Fry in batches, do not over crowd the frying pan. Remove on an absorbent paper.
- Once cooled, store them in an air-tight container.