Nasi Goreng is one of the best-known Indonesian fried rice dish.
Traditionally, the recipe is made from previous days leftover rice, stir fried with a flavouring paste and topped with fried egg omelette and served with fried prawn crackers. A complete meal in itself.
To make this recipe vegetarian, we have added tofu as a substitute to omelette and served it with lime flavoured nachos and fresh veggie salad. Plus we have added some indian flavours.
So, take a break from the usual pulav and try something different. Try out this recipe once and we are sure you will love it and want to make it more often.
More Rice Varieties on the blog –
Corn Capsicum Pulao
Matar Paneer Pulao
Vegetable Masala Khichdi
VEGETARIAN NASI GORENG
Loved this recipe? Leave a comment below and give us a 5★ rating
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 1 cup cooked rice/leftover rice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 fresh red chili finely chopped
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 4-5 garlic pods grated or minced
- an inch piece of ginger grated
- 4-5 shallots chopped
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 1/4 capsicum shredded
- 1/2 carrot peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 head of cabbage finely shredded
- 1/4 cup of peas and corn boiled
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin/jeera powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander/dhaniya powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoon red chili sauce
- 7-8 pieces of tofu
- 8-10 nachos coarsely crushed
- salt to taste
- small bunch of parsley chopped
- fresh veggie salad tomatoes, onion, capsicum, topped with lime juice
- To prepare Vegetarian Nasi Goreng Recipe, prepare all the ingredients required.
- In a large wok, heat the oil and butter on medium to high heat.
- Add red and green chillies, shallots, garlic, ginger and celery. Saute till 2-3 minutes.
- Once it is done, then add in the carrots, capsicum, cabbage, corn and peas and fry on high heat until the vegetables are just tender (al dente).
- Then add the cooked rice (Previous days rice works fantastic for this recipe), salt, all the spices - freshly ground black pepper powder, cumin/jeera powder, coriander/dhaniya powder and red chili sauce. Mix gently.
- Once rice is well coated with the spices and sauce, add tofu pieces and lime juice. Stir gently and remove from the flame.
- Just before serving, add crushed nacho chips to the rice.
- Garnish with fried cashews and parsley and serve Vegetarian Nasi Goreng Recipe with Nacho chips and fresh salad. Njoyeee...
Leave a Reply