Bajri na Vada or Bajra Vada or Pearl Millet Fritters is a healthy snack dish that you should definitely try. These yummy fried vadas are made by combining Bajra Flour and Whole Wheat Flour along with other spices. These are very easy to make.
Although these vadas are deep fried, you can enjoy them without guilt as they are made from Bajra (Pearl Millet) Flour, which has multiple health benefits. It is high in fiber content, powerful for controlling diabetes, reduces cholesterol and aids in digestion. The list is not exhaustive.
Serve Bajra Vadas as a tea time snack along with green chutney and hot cup of chai.
You may also like to try our Bajra na Rotla Recipe (Gujarati Pearl Millet Flatbread).
Also try out our other Breakfast/Snack Recipes.
Bajri na Vada (Pearl Millet Fritters)
Ingredients (1 Cup = 200 ml)
- 1 cup bajra flour/pearl millet flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- pinch of turmeric powder/haldi
- 1/4 teaspoon jeera/cumin seeds powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dhaniya/coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon jaggery
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/4 cup dahi/curd
- 1 tablespoon oil + more oil for deep frying
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ajwain/carom seeds
- salt to taste
- water for kneading dough
- In a wide bowl, combine the bajra flour and whole wheat flour along with all the ingredients.
- Mix well and knead into a stiff dough adding water gradually. Do not add too much water at once, otherwise the dough will get sticky.
- Check the seasoning and adjust salt level.
- Set the dough aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into small balls. Flatten each ball with your fingers into a small disc shape.
- Heat oil in a kadai/deep bottom pan for deep frying bajra vada. When the oil is hot enough, reduce the flame to medium and add vadas one by one. Fry the vadas in small batches.
- Deep fry till they turn golden brown in colour from both sides. Transfer them to a plate lined with a kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.
- Serve vadas hot with masala tea or green chutney.